Over the last couple of years, I have left my footprints around the globe except China. However, last week, I finally made it to Beijing and explored it in depth. For our backpackers, an excursion to the Great Wall is a must-do during the trip to Beijing. So after a series of preparation, I set off from my hotel and headed straight to the Great Wall at Jinshanling section.
It is said Jinshanling is the most remote and least restored portions of the Great Wall near Beijing. For veteran backpackers like me craving a more natural Jinshanling Great Wall tour experience, there truly is no better place to be than Jinshanling.
I planned a whole day hike on the wall. Jinshanling was least visited by domestic tourists posing for photos at every step, enabling me to explore the Great Wall at my own pace. It took me about 4 to 5 hours to hike all the way up the highest point, passing 43 watchtowers in various states of disrepair. Along the way, there were a few parts of the wall broken, which made the climb very hard and challenging as well as fun.
I also came across a few travelers from abroad and we talked a lot about travel around the world by sharing our experiences. It brought me a lot of fun and I had a wonderful time mingling with them. I got a lot of photos taken with them, and we even made a promise to visit other places together while traveling in China. It was really a lifetime experience sharing the sunset on the wall with fellows who happen to have the same hobby. I will always remember that moment till the last breath! What a meaningful trip! I guess sometimes life just gives you something when you least expect it!
Frequently Asked Questions
Login and Registration Issues
- Why can’t I login?
- There are several reasons why this could occur. First, ensure your username and password are correct. If they are, contact the board owner to make sure you haven’t been banned. It is also possible the website owner has a configuration error on their end, and they would need to fix it.
- Why do I need to register at all?
- You may not have to, it is up to the administrator of the board as to whether you need to register in order to post messages. However; registration will give you access to additional features not available to guest users such as definable avatar images, private messaging, emailing of fellow users, usergroup subscription, etc. It only takes a few moments to register so it is recommended you do so.
- Why do I get logged off automatically?
- If you do not check the Log me in automatically box when you login, the board will only keep you logged in for a preset time. This prevents misuse of your account by anyone else. To stay logged in, check the box during login. This is not recommended if you access the board from a shared computer, e.g. library, internet cafe, university computer lab, etc. If you do not see this checkbox, it means the board administrator has disabled this feature.
- How do I prevent my username appearing in the online user listings?
- Within your User Control Panel, under “Board preferences”, you will find the option Hide your online status. Enable this option with Yes and you will only appear to the administrators, moderators and yourself. You will be counted as a hidden user.
- I’ve lost my password!
- Don’t panic! While your password cannot be retrieved, it can easily be reset. Visit the login page and click I’ve forgotten my password. Follow the instructions and you should be able to log in again shortly.
- I registered but cannot login!
- First, check your username and password. If they are correct, then one of two things may have happened. If COPPA support is enabled and you specified being under 13 years old during registration, you will have to follow the instructions you received. Some boards will also require new registrations to be activated, either by yourself or by an administrator before you can logon; this information was present during registration. If you were sent an e-mail, follow the instructions. If you did not receive an e-mail, you may have provided an incorrect e-mail address or the e-mail may have been picked up by a spam filer. If you are sure the e-mail address you provided is correct, try contacting an administrator.
- I registered in the past but cannot login any more?!
- It is possible an administrator has deactivated or deleted your account for some reason. Also, many boards periodically remove users who have not posted for a long time to reduce the size of the database. If this has happened, try registering again and being more involved in discussions.
- What is COPPA?
- COPPA, or the Child Online Privacy and Protection Act of 1998, is a law in the United States requiring websites which can potentially collect information from minors under the age of 13 to have written parental consent or some other method of legal guardian acknowledgment, allowing the collection of personally identifiable information from a minor under the age of 13. If you are unsure if this applies to you as someone trying to register or to the website you are trying to register on, contact legal counsel for assistance. Please note that the phpBB Group cannot provide legal advice and is not a point of contact for legal concerns of any kind, except as outlined below.
- Why can’t I register?
- It is possible the website owner has banned your IP address or disallowed the username you are attempting to register. The website owner could have also disabled registration to prevent new visitors from signing up. Contact a board administrator for assistance.
- What does the “Delete all board cookies” do?
- “Delete all board cookies” deletes the cookies created by phpBB which keep you authenticated and logged into the board. It also provides functions such as read tracking if they have been enabled by the board owner. If you are having login or logout problems, deleting board cookies may help.
User Preferences and settings
- How do I change my settings?
- If you are a registered user, all your settings are stored in the board database. To alter them, visit your User Control Panel;